Sunday, January 2, 2011

26.2, I'm coming for you!

Today was another long run day. Moving up to 18 miles after 16.5 two weeks ago, and 15 two weeks before that. Weather was cold and cloudy (for SoCal), so almost perfect for running. About 48 degrees with chance of rain. I wore shorts and a tech t and chuckled at all the other runners in full cold weather clothing that they probably got for Christmas. Today's plan was to take it easy and put in the distance, but I did want to go under 8:30 for the 2nd half at least, and maybe approach goal pace of 8:10.
First 5 miles I was cruising along, cold, but felt OK. Reined in the speed a little bit to keep it over 8:30. I didn't want to burn out early. By 5 miles my hands and arms stopped being cold. I headed over to the beach for the last 12 miles. Started to get a little drizzle, but it was merely refreshing. By mile 8 the speed had picked up to close to 8 minute pace. Still felt good, so I decided to keep it there the rest of the way.
On the way back, the rain came back pretty heavy for the last 6 miles, and the wind picked up, but it was bearable. I was tired, but still able to push the pace a little and stay on track. By the end I still had some energy and felt pretty darn good! 18.2 miles done, and I had the feeling that 26.2 was not really that far away! Much better than I felt last year at this time when I ran 18 and bonked hard.
Splits: 8:59, 8:50, 8:45, 8:37, 8:25, 8:36, 8:24, 8:18 - First 8 miles averaged 8:37
7:54, 8:02, 8:08, 8:10, 8:09, 8:20, 8:08, 8:14, 8:15, 8:11 - Last ten averaged 8:09!
Total - 18.2 miles at 8:22 pace

Afterward, the pain came with very creaky joints and muscles, not to mention chafing, but after a glorious hot shower, some food, ibuprofen and rest, I'm feeling a whole lot better. My mileage chart is ahead of last year, my pacing is better, all systems are go!
Now I have to go to Indianapolis tomorrow for 4 days, which will make it tough to stay on track with my 4 runs a week goal. I figure I will need to run twice in the cold and dark (or maybe a hotel treadmill  - God forbid).
 

1 comment:

  1. I went out for a 7 miler with my neighbor/marathon coach, and she and her normal running partner were both over dressed. They were hot by the second mile. Although, I was cold in the 29* air until then.

    Great time. Some day, when I grow-up as a runner, I want to be like you. Maybe with a kilt named after me since the "Bangle Pump" is already a standard now.

    So are you not a true-believer in the ice bath? I just can't bring myself to contemplate them, but then again, I didn't think I would ever sign up for a marathon either.

    ReplyDelete