Sunday, January 30, 2011

Twenty!

I ran 20 miles today. 
Let me repeat. I ran twenty miles today!
 
Sure, I've done it a lot over the years, but I never get tired of that sentence, because it is so clearly BA that any one who hears it can't help but be impressed. It's possible I may brag a little to non-runners tomorrow, just for some ego stroking. I'm not above it.

So anyway, let me tell you about it. My plan was to try and run relaxed and keep the first 6 miles close to 9 minute pace. I usually am itching to go faster by then, so I planned to allow a little more speed and do the next ten at no faster than 8:30. The last 4 miles I am usually fading or hanging on, so today my plan was to keep the foot on the gas and maintain or increase speed, so my goal was to go no SLOWER than 8:30 for the last 4. Practicing a decent pace on tired legs.

Weather was excellent. Our midwinter heat wave left and the high today was low 50's. Probably high 40's while I ran. Overcast and some showers, but not much wind. I was worried I would hit some nasty winds on the last 9 mile stretch at the beach, but it seemed to turn and be at my back both ways! Usually it is the other way around. I got rained on for about 3 miles, but it was pleasant.

Also today, I carried my new water bottle and took drinks every mile - just like race day. I also brought 3 GUs for the first time. And for the first time, I didn't really enjoy taking them. Blech. Maybe because I was still running. In fact I only stopped twice the whole time to refill my bottle. Normally I would have stopped 8 or 9 times at water fountains.

So without further ado, here are some numbers:
First 6: 9:06, 8:55, 8:54, 8:51, 8:49, 9:13. Avg - 8:58

Next 10: 8:35, 8:43, 8:30, 8:33, 8:32, 8:41, 8:20, 8:29, 8:33, 8:35. Avg - 8:33

Last 4: 8:27, 8:32, 8:29, 8:18 Avg - 8:27

20 miles in 2:53
plus 0.3 at 9:40 for a total of 20.3 - avg 8:40

So, mission accomplished! My last mile was my fastest.! Those last 4 were tough. I would drop to 8:20 or so, and then tire and fade back. I had enough energy to put a little more into that last one. I'm also quite proud of not having 'frequent' stopping for water, as that is a big change for me. Only two pauses of 20 seconds or so in 3 hours!

After the waves of pain and endorphins battled it out for an hour, I rewarded myself with an In N Out triple cheeseburger. Delicious!

Now an easy week ahead before a 10K on Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice numbers. I agree -- 20 just has an awesome ring to it. Well done. Good luck with the 10K

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great run!

    I have to chuckle at the pit stops too. I hate taking a stop for anything- always afraid I won't want to start running again- but i always do.

    Also- I mostly don't do any gels, but always find it interesting to read what other people do. I am open to change if it works better. =D

    Looking forward to how you do in the 10K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Bangle, the format is so much easier over here. The Loop is driving me INSANE! Not the people, the thing itself. It was AWARD WINNING for goodness sakes. Then they totally destroyed it. I keep having to refrain from dumping a furious rant all over the Loop.

    And, as I mentioned before, nice 20. =)

    ReplyDelete