Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Shoe Review and a Book Review

Yesterday I broke in two new pairs of shoes. First, I took out the new Saucony Rides. This is my 4th pair of Rides, so nothing shocking here. They were just fine as I did a 4 mile loop. Then I changed into the new Kinvaras and took them on a little 2 mile loop for my first run in minimal shoes.

Well! It was quite a different feel right from the get-go! The first thing that popped in my head after a few strides was "comfy slippers". The lightness I was expecting (and yes they are very light). But I was surprised by the "cushiness". I thought with the thinner soles it would be less "cushy", but they were definitely MORE soft and comfortable than the new Rides. I felt like I was cheating or something. My feet are not supposed to feel this light.

So I enjoyed the run. I played with my stride a little, and it did feel different on the landing, but not in a bad way. Today I have no soreness in my calves or achilles, although my hamstrings just above my knees feel a little tight. So I am encouraged, and will break them out again Friday for some track work. My plan is to be ready to race a 5K in them in 2 weeks.

And they look like this:

On to the Book Review. Last night I finished Haruki Murakami's "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running". It is kind of like reading blogs. He kind of rambles about a variety of things, mostly related to running or triathlon and writing. Each chapter is like a blog post. Like "Here's what I was thinking about today". And I must say, if he were on the Loop, he would not be one of the better bloggers. I can think of at least 10 Loopsters that are much more entertaining and insightful. He does have some good insights, but most are pretty basic for any of us who are already runners. He talks about races, but there is no excitement or drama. He is kind of a boring guy. There doesn't seem to be a point here, other than "This is what I do. This is who I am. It's not very exciting, but there you are." He doesn't make you want to go out and run.

So it was kind of nice to read about running, and I could relate to him, but I don't think I can recommend this book. Get Born to Run or Once a Runner instead.

1 comment:

  1. Awk! Sorry, I didn't know you were in Rodondo Beach! :( Actually, that was a last minute detour because our friends in San Clemente, where we were "suppose" to stay, ended up having to go out of the country and thus left me scrambling for a new place to stay. Since we flew into Santa Ana airport, it was a long commute to RB, especially since we went to San Diego the next day. TONS of driving and I am dead tired after Whitney. Today we toured Death Valley, which was pretty cool - especially Deadwater - but wowzie is it hot here!

    Anyhoo...

    I LOVE the Kinvaras and they are my current shoe for everything. I even bough those green and yellow ones for my son, Ryan, for cross country and he's doing great in them. A step up from the Kinvaras - with the same last I believe - is the Mirage. My son wears them for longer runs, but I have had no problems doing 14 in the Kinvaras. Glad you like them!

    Next time I'm in Cali, I'll be sure to hook up with ya! :)

    ReplyDelete