Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Vacation Racing - Ft. Lauderdale 13.1 - 2017

 Sometimes I sign up for a race, and then make a vacation out of it. Examples are Boston, New York, Loopfests.

Other times I schedule a vacation, and then look for a race to add to it. The point here is to have fun, explore new places and add a little running spice to an already good trip. If it fits into the training plan to race it hard, well, that's a bonus.

So this was the latter. Sure, I had hoped to race hard, and made some goals, yadda, yadda. But once I got there, the running gods gave me plenty of reasons to shift gears and drop the pretense and just enjoy the race for what it was. Spice for the weekend. Not the main dish.

The main dish was camaraderie; spending time with five old friends from high school. As we do every year, we chose a warm location to play a lot of golf, rented a house, and spent four days hanging out. No wives allowed. When I got home and the wife asked me how the other guys' families were doing, I had nothing. Because that stuff never came up. Yeah, it was all guy talk; golf, football, running, investing, politics, careers. I guess there was a little talk about kids. I'm not a monster.

In addition to three rounds of golf, we also had a bowling night (where I had top score with a 192), played some pickleball, walked along South Beach in Miami, caught the Vikings game in a Miami sports bar, and ate lots of good food and drank every night. Not exactly tapering for a PR race. Plus I got shingles.

Yes, shingles. I noticed some soreness in my hip area during my shakeout run Friday, and found some telltale rash marks. My brother had experience with shingles many years ago, and he confirmed my diagnosis. Then another roommate who happens to be a doctor (Ob/Gyn actually) also confirmed. Lucky to have him there because he was able to quickly write me a prescription for an anti-viral and phone it in to the local CVS. It's the same drug he has prescribed for genital herpes hundreds of times. I wore a bag over my head to CVS.

Anyway, I was a bit nervous that it would get much worse by race day, but the drugs seemed to nip it in the bud, and it didn't get any worse. It was a minor irritant, and I didn't seem to be getting the fever or fatigue that often comes with shingles. I actually played my best round of golf in years that day, and it didn't hurt my bowling game either! So I was still planning to run the half on Sunday.

But there was plenty of temptation to drop. Only four of us planned to run. Two were signed up for the relay, where each runs half of the race. But then one guy decided not to do it, choosing to golf a fourth day instead. And another guy said it was too warm and decided he would drop at the halfway point also (conveniently at the start/finish). So that just left me doing the full 13.1 miles. I could have taken the bib for the relay slot and done the second half. Or I could have dropped halfway with the other two guys. But I'm stubborn and I wanted to do what I had committed to and earn that medal. I did however alter my goals. No more shooting for 7:30 pace or better. I would go out conservative (about 8:00) and run with my two buddies, and then see how it went. If I was really fatigued I could drop after 6.5. But I hoped to keep it under 8:00 and finish strong, if possible. Post a respectable time but not kill myself. Work but not suffer.

Race day it was 77 degrees already at 6AM, and the wind was blowing hard off of the Atlantic. Really hard. More reason to sandbag. The last half of the race was out and back along the coast, but the wind was mostly out of the North. So while miles 6-9.7 would be rough into the wind, the last 3.4 would be coasting with a tailwind. Also there was cloud cover, so at least there was no sun to go with the heat and humidity. Ugh, the humidity! This California guy was not used to it. But it was much worse Friday then Sunday. Sunday was definitely too warm, windy and humid for PR effort. But it turned out to be just fine for a vacation race!

We arrived before dawn for the 6:15AM start.    DEP_4264-XL.thumb.jpg.8df3a5961e671fc9554deb06f1ea7d09.jpg

Plenty of time to poop, I thought, but they only had about ten port-a-potties for over 1,000 people. We got in line anyway, and barely made it in and out as the national anthem started. So no warmup at all. The start chute was only ten feet wide and packed, and we had to funnel in the back behind the 2:30 pacer. Oh well, not a race, right? I jogged in place for twenty seconds for my warmup. Once we got going we had the whole road and it opened up quick, so we had enough room to maneuver around the joggers. Good thing I didn't care, so I kept it reasonable and took my time. We gradually passed all the pacers: 2:30, 2:20, 2:10, 2:00...up until I finally caught and passed the 1:45 guy around mile two.

The first mile the wind was at our backs. We had one bridge to get over right at the start, but then it felt pretty easy. The three of us were together, and that was nice to run in a little group. We were passing people in a pack and feeding off each other. At times it felt maybe too fast, but I didn't want to drop behind them, so it was helpful to have them there. First three miles were 7:54, 7:46, 7:51.  In mile four I noticed that the other two had dropped back a little. I didn't think I had accelerated, but I guess I did a little. Just like in my training runs, I get more comfortable after about three miles and start speeding up. It was feeling comfortably hard and there were people to chase and pass, so I just kept plugging. Miles 4-5 were 7:41, 7:46.

Then we were heading back East toward the ocean and hit a lot of wind. That really took the wind out of my sails. Or more accurately, blew the wind against my sail! I tried to find some people to draft behind, but I couldn't stay behind anyone too long because they were all going a little bit slower than I wanted to go. So I did my share of fighting the wind. I reminded myself there was a long way to go. I was tired, but no more than usual. Less than usual for a race actually. So I didn't even consider dropping at the halfway point. Got through mile 6 in 7:58 and had a little out and back where I got to see my buddies hadn't dropped too far back. I waved and started the four mile gauntlet into the North wind.

_E2A3982-XL.thumb.jpg.ef14de12850467d3b3da4e6e99c16b49.jpg

Running into that kind of wind creates a sense of kinship with the runners around you. You are working this thing together somehow. We are all suffering in the same way, like soldiers in a bunker. There were several guys I ran close to for quite a while here. We formed our little silent friendship (in my head anyway). Alternated drafting duties a little. When I accidentally dumped some Gatorade on one of my new friends' legs I felt pretty bad. Sorry, buddy, I guess you're not my friend any more. (He was cool)

The wind was relentless, but I kept my head down and just ran. This is where endurance training is helpful. You don't think "oh hell, four more miles of this shit - I'm gonna die". You just stay in the moment and look for the next landmark or mile marker or water station. You just keep plugging. Long way to go still, so I just tried to maintain. Pace slipped over 8, but not by too much. I knew relief was coming once we turned and it would be easier. Miles 7-9 were 8:10, 8:04, 8:11.

I took a GU at 8.5 and then walked just a bit at the water stop to make sure I got a good drink. That's when the 1:45 pacer caught me. What? He must be ahead of schedule. But I welcomed the company, as it was getting a little lonely out there. He had four guys with him, and I joined the party. Drafting behind them was like a little break that I felt I owed myself. So I stayed with them to the turnaround at 9.7. And then I moved on by and the headwind disappeared and life was good again. I had a little pep in my step and pushed the gas a little. Some other guy went by me even faster, but then I was able to use him to chase for a couple miles before he faded. Then I was alone for the last two miles. Mile 10 was 7:52 (mostly headwind). Miles 11-12 were both 7:40. I figured I was on track for 1:43:xx with a shot at 1:42:xx, so that gave me a little motivation to keep it going.

000A2480-XL.thumb.jpg.a81ad801cfd52aadf2aa2984466d89df.jpg000A2484-XL.thumb.jpg.b61f1a761820d28617c173183101abd2.jpg

By the end I was tiring and ready to be done. But I was able to hold the pace. Nothing like serious race pain, just hard workout fatigue. My calves were starting to twitch a little, but they didn't cramp. When the end was in sight I picked it up a bit and cruised on in to the finish. Mile 13 was 7:32 with the last .13 at 6:34 pace. Official time 1:42:58. Hooray for small victories!

DSC_0283-XL.thumb.jpg.9f16d5c5c0711db7f82d96de0775bfc2.jpgDSC01194-XL.thumb.jpg.55ee61c185c8e12f0a6e060a68967db4.jpg

That placed me 43rd of about 800, and 3rd in my AG. More importantly, I had fun, I didn't die, shingles didn't sideline me, and there was free food and beer waiting for me. Unfortunately my buddies wanted to get going since they had already waited a while for me, so I didn't get to go to the awards ceremony. Not sure what I would have won. Perhaps I will get it mailed to me. Some Norwegian girl was first overall in 1:26! and third overall was a 55-year old guy in 1:29! So much for winning my AG.

So now I'm back home and ready for more training. Turkey Trot 3-miler next week. And then another vacation race in Rehoboth, where I hope cooler weather and less shingles will let me take a shot at a fast time. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment