Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Life During Wartime

 Here is a link to the awesome title song for background. It can also double as an aerobic video if you need a workout.

So 2020 is going to be a year like none of us have ever experienced. Not since 1918 or maybe 1930 has American life changed so quickly. Every day has been a new development and what seemed crazy a week or two ago is now the new normal. We in California are now told to stay home unless necessary. I expect the rest of the country to follow suit soon. I expect it will be 6-8 weeks before any normalcy returns and who knows?

Anyway, I just started reading The Splendid and the Vile, which is about Churchill and life in London in 1940, as they prepared for an apparently imminent German invasion and bombing. It made me think of certain parallels to us now. Mainly the "not knowing" what will happen. The shock of changing expectations and considering the unthinkable. The threat of potentially massive death tolls. Could we look like Italy looks now? I heard we are only 8 days behind Italy on the infection curve. I actually considered the possibility that this could actually kill me if hospitals get overwhelmed and I caught the bug. Scary stuff.

But basically I remain positive. Trying to remain rational and taking it a day at a time. The wife is home with me. She works at a school so they are off for at least 5 weeks. Ubering is dead in the water with no demand, and I don't want to go out there anyway. Libraries are closed so I have to get e-books. Golf courses are closed. Hell, everything is closed except grocery stores and takeout dining. I sit around. I watch TV. I walk the dogs. I read. And I run. Thankful I have that as an outlet. My running groups are no longer meeting so I run alone. But I'm good with that. I skip the water fountains and don't press the pedestrian walk buttons. No races to train for, but I'll keep building a base and doing speed work because it's fun. Hopeful that Chicago will still be there in October. But if not, that's fine. I'm getting used to it now. This ain't no party. This ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. 

Be safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment