Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Surf City Loopfest: The Legion of Boom!!!

In case you were wondering where all those sonic booms were coming from on Sunday, it was from out here on the left coast, where Loopsters got together and decided to smash all expectations at the Surf City Marathon and Pikermi.

Boom!!! Three BQs! Boom!!! Seven, yes, SEVEN PRs!!! Boom!!! Two AG awards! Sixteen Loopsters were racing, and not one disappointing run! Loopfest race day magic was in full force! Goals were shattered, spirits soared, 2014 expectations were flying high! It was a GREAT day on the beach-side race course. But that was just the highlight of a Super loopfest weekend!

OK, take a breath, and I'll back it up a bit.

My battles with PF are well documented, but briefly, I haven't trained regularly since September. I stubbornly did two pikermis in November and December and probably delayed my recovery. But since Rehoboth I took 6 weeks off with no running, saw some progress, and had 4 tentative runs in the last two weeks that went pretty well. 3, 4, 5, and 6 milers. Then Wednesday I did a 4 miler that hurt worse than the others and I got a little depressed again. I knew I should skip this race and be careful and rest it. But it was a loopfest! Everyone was staying at my house! Mild Sauce pledged to run/walk with me as slow as I needed to! So I ran it.

The evolution of my plan for this race:

1. Skip it
2. I guess I can pick up my bib and start it and turn back after a mile and head to the beer garden.
3. Well maybe I could do the first loop and then cut back for 8 miles total.
4. Well, it shouldn't hurt too much to just walk the rest, right? Sub 2:30?
5. Hmm, that 6-miler went pretty well. I guess I could just run easy as long as the pain stays away and run/walk the last 5 miles. Maybe sub-2? I don't want my first over 2:00 half on my record...
6. Shoot, the pain is back. I should really skip this race.
7. I can't skip it, idiot. Just see what happens.

So that's where I stood on race morning.

Friday, Loopsters started arriving. I had 9 staying at my house. These 8 plus John Wayne who came in later. 20414 079
 It's always so much fun to have the guests. They were all gracious and thankful, but it was seriously my pleasure to have them there.

Here is the whole group with the locals added in.

SurfCity2014 029
Friday night we all descended on Anna Bananas house, and had enormous amounts of delicious food.
annas
Saturday, AtomBuddy came over and made pumpkin pancakes for everyone. It was a beautiful sunny day, so we decided to head to the expo early and spend the afternoon at the beach.

sc14 036
sc14 038
And we got our group shot.
groupshot
We managed to squeeze in a quick happy hour beverage at the nearest bar we could find, and then had an excellent Italian carbo-load dinner. I had the risotto with lobster chunks. Yum! Dinner out with loopsters is always a blast. Even when some old guy in a bad toupee is singing Volare at the piano.

Race day! The three marathoners were up and out before 4AM. The rest of us got to sleep in and didn't leave until 5. John Wayne helped KT up my bum foot.

sc14 040
Leaving early and picking the farthest parking lot worked great. No traffic. No line at the bus. Just pitch black and cold.
sc14 041
We got to the expo and tent and chilled (literally) a bit.
sc14 042
But then we all marched up to Misti and Nate's hotel room right next to the start line, 8 floors up, and got a great view of the marathon start. We stayed warm and enjoyed the indoor plumbing. Awesome. But then it was time to run. I was ready.
sc14 045
The Sauce was there for support, and her frequent screams to Seahawk fans kept things lively. We saw JB and Alice as they were there to cheer for us. We backed up to the third wave and planned to just go at training run pace, maybe 8:30ish?, and enjoy the day.

The foot felt pretty OK at the start. Hurt a bit, but nothing major, so we cruised along. 8:34, 8:18, 8:12. Pace felt good, foot felt good. Happy times!

early

Mile 4 had a little hill. In my sorry fitness shape I slowed a bit and had to catch my breath at the top, but on the way down, I was still feeling good! 8:27 up, 8:10 down. Five miles in and things were just peachy! We looked for loopsters in the big crowd (15,000), and managed to see a few. Then we were back to PCH for the long out and back.

The foot pain was basically just a dull ache that never spiked into angry bee stings like it did at Rehoboth, so I kept running. I was getting fatigued, but not too bad. I was pretty sure sub-2 was a done deal. I thought maybe a walk break after the turn around at 8.

But, didn't need it. Kept going. 8:13, 8:15, 8:13. In mile 9 I walked through a water stop and took a little breather. Legs were getting sluggish. 8:34  But then I just kept on going into the sun and headwinds. By this point I knew it was a good day. We saw a camera guy and nailed this one.


BP

Miles 10 and 11 had a little uphill, but I cruised on up, 8:13, 8:23. Getting tired, but did the math and knew sub 1:50 was in my sights. Might as well finish strong. We started pushing it a little. Legs were tired, my breathing started getting heavy. But hey, it WAS a race after all. Sauce tried to push me, but I didn't feel the need to go too far into the pain cave. Comfortably hard. The marathoners joined the course in the last 1/4 mile and we saw Roger just ahead of us! Couldn't catch him though as he was running sub 7 on the way to his BQ! But I finished with 8:04 and 7:58, and a 7:11 pace for the  last .17. Boom! Expectations crushed! Injury belittled. Loop awesomeness affirmed. 1:48:49

We were happy.



3medals

Then we got some clothes on and started the party at the beer garden. Loopsters filed in and we heard all the good news. One great report after another. Happiest place on earth!

sc14 046
sc14 050
sc14 053
Eventually we made it out of there and back to my place where the partying would continue. Super Bowl Party! I jumped on the Seahawk bandwagon with Roger and Sauce, and that made that boring game VERY exciting!
SurfCity2014 032
sc14 058
Special guest Jacqueline Hansen was there, along with her home-made cookies (which were delicious) and she inspired everybody - many of whom left with signed books!
sc14 062

And there was much partying...
SurfCity2014 034
SurfCity2014 035
SurfCity2014 038
Jacqueline tells Dean what it takes to go sub-3....

SurfCity2014 039
A little Apples to Apples caused much merriment.

SurfCity2014 046
It was a fun night, a great weekend, typical loopfest.

I thought about putting our faces on this poster but my photoshop skills are nil, so just imagine it. Or do it for me.

111013-FFD_LEGION-OF-BOOM_V-MON-CQ-PI-CH
Ready to do it again in 3 months at Flying Pig! I'm hopeful my foot will allow me to train enough to get back under 1:40.

Life is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment