Saturday, January 18, 2014

Feels Like The First Time

It started out a little awkward. The body was not reacting properly. It had been so long! But soon I got warmed up and started to remember how everything worked. I started to get into that regular rhythm. The breathing got heavy. I started to get sweaty and stinky. There may have been some moaning and groaning. But soon the endorphins were flowing and a big smile was on my face. Yes, I ran today!



After 40 days without, I put 3 miles into the spreadsheet today. The heel has very slowly gotten better. The pain is not quite gone, but it's very manageable. For the last two weeks or so I have been wearing these things
heel seats
in my shoes all day long. And it really helps. Also I have been stretching the PF a lot by pulling my toes back, and stretching and sticking my calves and achilles. It's a gradual process, but I am seeing progress.
Enough so I decided to try and run on it. For my 3 miles, I barely felt the heel, so that made it a success. But, DANG, I have really lost my fitness! It was hard work just to jog at 9+ pace, and I stopped to walk twice for a breather. But who cares. I was happy to be running, and happy that the heel wasn't complaining.

Now 6 hours later, the heel is bitching a bit. But I think I can deal with it. I will just continue my routines, and add miles very slowly. I'm thinking another 3 on Tuesday after two days rest, and then maybe 4 or 5 next weekend if the pain is staying low. Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, I have been biking a lot. I got the road bike out for the first time in 2 1/2 years on Thursday, and it felt good to go fast and work hard. The heel has no problem with biking! So I'm going to do 20 miles tomorrow before football. I'm thinking maybe this is the year I do another triathlon. I noticed that my best running was the year right after my heavy triathlon training. Since I can't run too much for now, I might as well do more cross-training! Staying positive!



And of course, the Loop is coming to visit in two weeks for Surf City. Well, about a dozen or so anyway. Looking forward to another great loopfest!

No comments:

Post a Comment