Thursday, May 8, 2014

Flying Pig Loopfest and The Duel RR

Loopfest time again! I was still so excited to see everybody. Even though I have been to a lot of these, it still feels like Christmas every time. With all the anticipation and happiness and smiles. And the Flying Pig weekend did not disappoint!

Friday was low-key. Other than the expo where I saw a handful of loopsters briefly, I had some family obligations most of the day. Friday night there was lobby drinking and chit chat.

Saturday I missed all the daytime activities, but we were able to pull together dinner for everyone at my in-law's house after a last minute offer to host. God bless 'em, because it was a perfect location and we didn't really have a good plan before that. So nearly everyone came over and we hung out on the deck on a sunny warm evening and did Loopfest stuff.

The Running Brotha brought some soul. TwentySixPoint2 brought the crazy.
pig 084
 Zamgirl and her sis

pig 085
 Quadracool and Lawrenceaa

pig 091
Jenster kept things lively.
pig 096pig 097pig 102
pig 098
but first...
pig 100
Ron Swanson's 'stache! Yes, that's him. Before his first marathon...
pig 101
Dean showed up and the women swarmed. Mainly because he brought them gifts.
pig 104
The wonderful Blevinses arrive! Most supportive loopsters ever.
pig 116
 So, the meetups were amazing of course. It was so great to see all my old buddies. And to meet a few new ones - I got to know BriU, KeepRunningGirl and the 'Stache a little bit. But there was a little race to take care of. And I know you all want to hear about it.

We arrived before dawn for the 6:30 start. Parked in Kentucky and walked across the bridge to Cincinnati.

pig 006
 It was a good mile walk. My BIL let us use his group's tent to stash our stuff and use their private indoor plumbing. Hooray! By the time we got to the corral, they were playing the national anthem! We had cut it close without really realizing it. No time for warmup jogs. Just hopped up and down a few times and within minutes we were off and running!

pig 123
So, unless you're just joining us, you know that Peg and I were running together, had similar goals, and both have a certain affinity for trash talk. We both planned to run as hard as we could, run our own race, go for our goals, and oh, by the way, kick the other's butt. There would be no hand-holding across the finish line. Other than that, we might run together for a while.

Plan was 7:45 pace through 6, survive the hill as well as possible, and then haul donkey for the last downhill miles. I wanted to run under 1:42, with an A goal of sub 1:40. And hopefully that would be enough to beat the young upstart.

Here is the course. For future reference.

elevation

So we get started. It's a little fast, so I try to relax. The lack of warmup bothered me. It felt like I was already breathing hard after a half mile. There was a little rise and Peg got ahead and I just had to let her go because I was hurting! After half a mile! What the hell. But a little down slope helped me get my wind and I felt better and caught back up. Mile 1 was 7:37. (Note: Garmin was running consistently short. I ended with 13.27 miles, so splits are a little faster than they actually were)

But then, bridge #1. From Ohio to Kentucky. I tried to maintain my effort and Peg pulled away again. This would become the dominant theme of this race. I knew hills are not my strength. But I didn't expect every little rise to suck so bad! It felt like 10K pace and I was ALREADY feeling defeated. Peg was 20 yards ahead on the first bridge. Seriously, I thought I would lose her soon and never see her again until she mocked me at the end.

But, then the downhill, and life got more rosy. I could breathe. I was catching back up. Maybe I could hang for a while.

Miles 2 and 3 were 7:30 and 7:43. I caught Peg on the flat. Then a 2nd bridge and she was gone again. I would catch back up. Then a 3rd bridge. A big one. I settled in to conservative pace, because I had no choice, and off she went. She had a good 50 yards on me after that one. But then there was a long downhill...

DW had set up on the bridge for photos, and when Peg saw her...I think she lost her mind. Apparently she wanted to get a picture with both of us in it. So she stopped. Cold.

pig 134 - Copy
See me back there catching up? Crazy woman.

pig 137
The dear wife had a nice spot and caught lots of loopsters going by.

The brotha! pig 132
KEK, twentysixpoint2 and Quadracool!
pig 147
Zamgirl and sis way over there!
pig 152
Gingersnap, Jenster and CLynn!
pig 175
VBlevins and RunningPlaces (and AlliKate behind them - invisible, sorry)
pig 181
Anyway, I caught Peg again off the bridge and we actually ran together for a mile or so. Miles 4, 5 and 6 were 7:24, 7:50 and 7:20. So we were basically right on goal pace at the real mile marks. But I wasn't feeling good. I felt dead, barely hanging on with heavy legs. Not a happy camper. And the big hill was coming up.

Still flying though.

midway
This was mile 6.

duel

Saw my favorite sign of the day: "You're Not Even Close". Yeah that's what it felt like. But I was still functional and pace was good. So I just needed to get over that hill, and survive the rest and maybe I could have a decent time after all. And if I could stay close enough to Peg on the hill, I felt pretty confident that I could catch her on the downhill, and dig deeper into the pain cave at the end.

Up we went. Peg pulled away slowly, and I settled into my survival hill mode. It was hard, but I was maintaining, and soon enough there was a little respite before the next big one. And Peg stopped to walk through the water stops several times which allowed me to make up lots of ground (rookie). She never got out of sight. Miles 7 and 8 were 8:36 and 8:12.

We crested the worst hill and I was still close, maybe 20 yards behind. But it was still gradual uphill for most of the way to mile 10 and I couldn't catch her. I was just hanging on. 9 and 10 were 7:41 and 8:00. About here I thought of a blog title possibility. Since California Chrome had just won the Kentucky Derby, I thought I could use California Silver if I lost or California Gold if I won. But I got blank stares from two people I tried it on, so never mind.


At mile 10 the descent began. THANK GOD! I was hurting bad, like ready to quit and walk bad. Fatigue was affecting my form. Just hating life for miles. But having Peg out in front certainly helped motivate me the whole way. Thanks, Shalane!, er, Peg! Without you setting the pace, I'm pretty sure I would have settled into a little slower pace. Competition is good.

I had a power gel during mile 10 and it seemed to wake me up. Or maybe it was the downhill. But the idea of 3 downhill miles didn't sound too bad. At 10.4 I caught Peg just before one REALLY steep block that you can see on the chart. I took off the brakes and flew down that hill, pinwheeling my arms and nearly taking flight. It was awesome.

hill
After about 1/4 mile I turned back to look and Peg was nowhere near. The next mile was steep and fast and I was flying. Mile 11: 6:51. Several times I leaned forward 'from the ankles' and it really seemed to push me forward. Short steps, fast turnover, no brakes, and I was passing lots of people. Still hurt. A lot. But I could breathe. And I had momentum. And adrenaline. Wheeeee!!!!!

Mile 12 flattened a bit for an out and back section. I was in my 'hang on because the end is near' mode at this point, and kept pushing into the anaerobic zone. I saw Peg was well back on the turnaround, gave her a wave, and kept pushing to get the best time I could. I knew I had sub 1:42 and a shot at sub 1:41.

More downhill made it easier to maintain the suicide pace. Miles 12 and 13 were both 7:10 and then I had .27 at 6:49 pace into the finish.

pig 200 - Copy
finish
Who hurt more?

pig 207
OK, that wasn't too fair. I know she was hurting plenty.

So I finished in 1:40:54. And I am very happy with that, considering the hills and how I felt. That is 7:42 pace. Peg was 1:01 back with a fantastic time for her, tying her PR! Now if I can just get her to run through water stops and ignore paparazzi...

We celebrated together. Still friends.
after
and posed for blog photos....
pig 232
 We spent the next 4 hours hanging out in the park as Loopsters filed in - mostly from the full marathon. The sun had come out. Bummer for those still running, but great for us! Beer, food, race stories. Good times. I went back to the finish to see some Loopsters come in. Lots of impressive stories out there. People who hurt for much, much longer than I did.

Later, after a solid 2 hour nap by me, we all hooked back up for dinner and drinks. It was a relatively mild night compared to other fests (ahem, Rehoboth!). But still filled with warmth, loop love and lots of laughs. And some tequila.

10258884_10154118245350106_188731560097669387_n
pig 269
pig 271

Pikermi #33 in the books! Ready to keep working and keep improving. I have a big summer and Fall coming up!

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment