Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Superstar In the Garden

I've almost made it to the end of Monster Month. My body is worn out. Race nerves are building up. I took a walk in the garden and offered up this prayer to the Loop Gods.

(For those of you who didn't grow up wearing out the grooves of your parents' LP of Jesus Christ Superstar and memorizing all the words, that is where this comes from.)  Here is a link to the movie version if you want to sing along.

(With apologies to Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Weber)

I only want to say,
If there is a way,
Take this race away from me
For I don’t want to feel the bonking,
Feel it crush me,
I have changed.
I’m not as sure
As when we started.

Then, I was inspired
Now I’m freaking tired.
Listen; surely I’ve exceeded expectations
Blogged for three years; trained for thirty,
Could you ask as much from any other man?

But if I run,
See the saga through and do the things you ask of me.
Run and cramp and walk and limp and pee behind a tree.
I'd wanna know, I'd wanna know, my Loop
I'd wanna see, I’d wanna see, my Loop,
Why I should die.
Would I be more noticed than I ever was before?
Would the blogs I’ve posted then matter anymore?
I’d have to know, I’d have to know, my Loop
Why do you make me jump through hoops?
I’d have to see, I’d have to see, my Loop
I'd have to see if I can write a bloop
If I run what will be my reward?
If I fail, will I then be ignored?
I’d have to know, I’d have to know, my Loop
What if I have to take a poop?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy should I run?
Why, why, oh why should I die?
Can you show me now that I won’t hit the wall in vain?
Tell me just a little that I won’t collapse from strain.
Show me there’s a reason for your wanting me to die.
You’re far too keen on where and how fast, but not so hot on why.

Alright. I’ll run!
Just watch, just watch me run!
Seeeeeeee, see how I bonk!
Oh, yes, just watch me die.

(Stirring instrumental, and then calm)

Then I was inspired
Now I’m so damn tired
After all I’ve trained for three years, seems like ninety
Why then am I scared to finish what I started
What you started -- I didn’t start it.

Loop, thy will is hard
But you hold every card.
I will take the flight to Boston,
Run up Newton, so you can break me,
Feed me, greet me, thrill me,
Inspire me now.
Before I change my mind....

Happy Maundy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment