Monday, August 20, 2012

Apparently my Garmin runs Slow in the Heat

Not sure if you guys have the same problem, but when it is hot out, my Garmin says I am running slower than my perceived effort tells me I am running. Since my internal clock is a fine-tuned machine, I'm sure it must be a Garmin electronic issue with the heat slowing down the clock or something. Maybe I'll write Garmin and ask them.

Since I returned from vacation Wednesday night, I've been busy trying to make up miles. Thursday I did 7.5 at 8:17 pace. Friday I hit the gym. Hard. This weekend were the hottest days of the year. It was near 85 here at the beach. And I hardly ever run when it is over 75. But I needed miles, so I did 7 Saturday. Garmin showed 8:35 pace, but it felt more like 8:15. Dang heat!

Then Sunday I needed to work in a 19 miler (rounded up to 19.2 to make it another 'marathon' weekend). It was hot, humid and sunny, and my course has little shade, so the 75-80 degree temps probably factored to a heat index of, I don't know, 140? I got up early and out the door by 7:15, but I guess I should have got up at 5.

Went topless again, and was feeling OK, even though Garmin was showing me slow splits.

9:13, 9:03, 8:45, 8:42, 8:31, 8:55, 8:44, 8:30

This is my usual progression, but about 30 seconds/mile slower. Although I didn't feel like i was slacking. I wasn't pushing that hard either. I stopped frequently for water at the many water fountains. I got a little groove going for a while. But then I got hot.

8:18, 8:15, 8:15, 8:17, 8:11, 8:29, 8:30, 8:47, 8:46

By mile 15 I was just focused on getting home safely. Guzzling lots of water. Taking it easy. After 17 I was getting a little dizzy, tingly, nauseous. So I walked a bit, trotted to the next water, and then dunked under a shower there at the beach for surfers. Boy did that cold water feel good! Then I took off my shoes and headed to the ocean. I ran another 1/2 mile or so in the sand and water. Then walked more. And then took a dip in the ocean. It. Was. Awesome. Living so close, you'd think I would dip in the ocean often after runs, but it is a pretty rare thing. After, I just walked the last .7 miles home, barefoot, chafing, a little miserable, but refreshed.

So I only got in 18.3 running miles at an 8:42 average, but I'll take it as a good quality endurance workout. Summer marathon training kind of sucks, but I am looking forward to cool fall temps.

Later I came back to the beach with DW for proper beach bathing and then passed out in a beach chair. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment