Tuesday, December 13, 2011

It's Gotta be the Shoes

(From 12/9)
Warning! This is yet another post about an awesome workout. it seems like every time I do a race or a speed workout lately, I am surprising myself. I just keep getting faster. What the hell is going on? It's gotta be the Kinvaras.




So this week I am running 5 times. Count 'em. 1, 2,3, 4, 5. First 5-run week in 30 years I think. Monday was a gym day. Tuesday was group run. Although I usually end up by myself or with 1 or 2 others after the first 2 miles. This week I ended up alone and pushing sub 8:00 pace for the last 5 of 7 miles.

Wednesday I ran 4 miles easy with the dogs.

Thursday is Speed Day. Decided to do 4 x 1 with 1/2 mile rests. Total of 8 miles. Goal was sub 7 pace. Headed out at 6:30 in the dark, cool night; down to the beach for flat, straight running paths. Each mile was fun, and I felt like I had more to give. I never had to walk during the rests. I always finished strong, and a 1/2 mile rest felt like too long - I was itching to get moving again! After the 4th one, I felt like I could do a few more!

1.3 mile warmup @ 8:25
Mile 1: 6:56
.7 @ 8:29
Mile 2: 6:46
.5 @ 8:50
Mile 3: 6:50
.5 @ 9:23
Mile 4: 6:44
1.1 mile cooldown @9:16

So 4 speed miles averaged 6:49, and I just felt fantastic. Moving along in the cool night air, pushing hard, flying by joggers, but with more in the tank. Next time I do this I am going to go for 6:30 pace. I have a 10K coming up on Jan. 1 and I am just going to KILL my PR. I'm thinking sub 43 is do-able. And a sub-20 5K sometime next Spring is definitely happening.

Hit the gym this morning less than 12 hours later and knocked out another good workout. Planning to do 5 Saturday and 15 on Sunday for a 40-mile week!

It seems like the more I do, the easier it gets. Funny how that works. I think it's banana time.

Office XMAS party tonight. Time to celebrate. Hide the lampshades.


No comments:

Post a Comment