Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Bangle Chronicles - Episode 3: The Return of the Runner (1995)

After a frustrating 2nd marathon in 1991, I cut the running way back for about a year, but eventually I got the competitive itch again and started running more and doing more races in '92 and '93. Then in November '93 I became a Dad.
Ever since the first Baby Jogger was invented in the mid 80's, I thought, "that is gonna be me someday." I think I bought one before my son was even born. Our local race has a "baby jogger" division with a separate start time, and I was already planning for it. He would be 2.5 months - plenty old for a 10K!
blog post photo
For the next four years, more than half of my mileage was pushing this little guy around. We did a few races and a lot of training. He either slept or enjoyed the view - it was great bonding time as he got older.
blog post photo
Insert gratuitous cute kid shot here.
blog post photo
So 1995 rolls around and I decide to give the marathon another try. In January I signed up for the Twin Cities Marathon in October ($30), back home in Minnesota. It would be a chance to visit family and friends and run a beautiful course. Training went well. Pushing an extra 40 pounds helped get me into better shape! I was running my best race times since my PR days: 19:13 5K, 40:10 10K and 1:33 half 4 weeks before the race. Plus I got two 18 milers and a 20 miler in. So I was better prepared.

Race day was cold but clear. Probably about 40 degrees at the start. I had my wife and kid and my parents driving around the course and they got to cheer for me three times during the race. Twin Cities is a fabulous race. The leaves are turning, and the race runs around three lakes and along the Mississippi and through some parkland, finishing up in historic St. Paul on a beautiful street filled with old mansions, and a finish line at the State Capitol. So there was lots of beauty, and the people are amazing! Lots and lots of cheering.
I started conservatively and felt really good. Started passing people and was cruising along loving it. Seeing the family, especially my little 2 year old, was a special, but fleeting moment. I had to keep moving! One time he was standing there waiting for me with a power bar in his little hand, and I didn't see him until too late. But my wife yelled for me and I saw him and turned back to get it. So cute.But chewing a power bar while running, without water, was pretty hard! Thank God Gu was invented later.
blog post photo
So I was feeling good to about 20. Fatigue was hitting, but it was manageable. I took a few walk breaks in the last 5 miles, but was able to get up and going again after maybe 30 seconds. When I got to 25 I knew I was going to make it, and I got all emotional, sobbing while running. The training and effort it took to get there this time was a lot more meaningful. And I had done it! The last half mile is downhill to the finish with thousands of people screaming, so that was easy. It was the most wonderful feeling - one of the highlights of my life. The kind of thing that makes us keep coming back for this torture.
I met up with my family and tried to share the joy, but it is pretty hard to translate to words. But here are some pics.
blog post photo

blog post photo

blog post photo

blog post photo
Oh yes, my time was 3:26:28. Still 16 minutes off of Boston, but that wasn't really in my sights at the time. I was happy to break 3:30 and finish strong.

Next: Episode 4 - The Phantom Marriage (2001)

No comments:

Post a Comment